I discovered essential oils a couple years ago when a friend invited me to a doTerra party. Since then I’ve been a big fan, especially being on the road. There are so many uses for these oils and they are safe and effective.
The essential oils I want to highlight in this post are a combination of Eucalyptus and Lemon. Not only do they smell great together, they conquer some of the most common problems in our daily life. I like doTerra specifically because they only offer therapeutic grade essential oils (quality does matter).
Best essential oils for removing poopy stains
Last winter in Northern California, we were situated in the mountains where town was once and a half hours away and we only took a trip to town once a week. Our son was only 3 months old and he was blowing through diapers left and right. I was bummed to see the poopy stains after a couple washes at the laundromat. I didn’t want to use bleach or any other toxic product because these clothes are going on my baby’s sensitive skin. Feeling defeated to the poop stain, I decided to look for alternate methods. I remember reading that essential oils are good for cleaning too!
I looked up in my handy Using Essential Oils Beginner Guide the oils for cleaning and disenfecting. Lemon essential oil kills germs, dissolves sticky substances, polishes chrome and wood, disinfect surfaces, and can even be used as a hand sanitizer. Poop is sticky, sounds good to me. Eucalyptus essential oil is also antibacterial and also a deodorant. Sounds like a good combo to me!
This is what I did to get rid of those stains:
- Add 5 drops of lemon essential oil and 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to your 2 gallon tub (vanlife essential) or sink.
- Fill with warm or hot water.
- Add stained garments.
- Soak completely, and then agitate (I just used my hand, they’re safe!), and then again in 15 minutes, or hour, or 3 hours (whenever you have time again between feedings and diaper changes.) Sometimes I would forget and out would soak overnight.
- Throw them in the washing machine.
- Victory!! No more stain.
This works faster if you do this when the stain is fresh.
Best essential oils for removing foot odor and grime
On the road we spend most of our inbetween time frolicking in National Forest. We like to get our indian on and run around barefoot. At the end of the day, our dogs have picked up all kinds of natural grime, sap, mud, and just the accumulation of caked on dirt. The same formula works good for stinky feet that have been in sweaty socks and shoes all day. For some foot love, this is what we do to get rid of foot odor and grime.
- Add 5 drops of lemon essential oil and 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to your 2 gallon tub.
- Fill half way with warm or hot water, cold works good too.
- Soak feet for 5-10 minutes.
- Use a washcloth to wipe away excess muck.
- Foot odor and grime, GONE!